Friday, October 22, 2010

Licensing

So I've made a few changes on my patterns. I've changed my Copyright/Licensing statement

From: This pattern, chart, and photos are property of Nadine Borovicka. All rights reserved. Pattern is available for personal use only. Pattern may not be sold or used to produce items for sale without express written permission from the designer. (c) Copyright 2010 (or whatever year it was written) by Nadine Borovicka.

To: Copyright (c) Nadine Borovicka 2010 All Rights Reserved. No part of this document may be reproduced or distributed without written consent from the author.

What does this mean?!?! (sorry couldn't resist the double rainbow reference). Essentially I don't want to put any restrictions on what you do with my patterns and legally, I really can't. So I am removing that restriction, that at the time I started designing patterns seemed standard. Personally the restriction on what you do with the finished object only makes sense if the person who designed the pattern is also selling the item. Ex. If I design a sweater and also sell them for $50, when someone buys my pattern for $5 and then sells those sweaters I am losing out on $45 in revenue. But if I sell the pattern for $5 but don't sell the items, I'm not losing money if someone else sells the item. The person buying the item probably isn't capable or willing to make the sweater so if they would never have bought my pattern, I'm not losing out on the sale. There is my logic.

I am only asking two things of those of you who make things from my patterns (who I love because I feel like a real designer every time someone uses a pattern I've written). First, if you do make my project for yourself, for sale, for charity, whatever a little recognition would be very welcome. A link to my blog from yours or a nod to the designer when they ask you where you got it. Second, if you do sell a bunch of items made from my patterns and become rich, take a look through my Etsy store. I would really appreciate it. :)

This blog post will take precedence over what is currently on the patterns here and on Ravelry. It is going to take a while to get them all changed. Oh and this change only affects the finished items you make. Please don't copy or distribute my patterns. If you have a group that wants to make my items, please send them all to the blog or Ravelry to print it out. Traffic means publicity means possible Etsy sales.

No comments: